The natural and architectural heritage of the Jardin des Plantes (Garden of Plants), the Galleries and the Ménagerie, the zoo of the Jardin des Plantes is easily damaged. Visitors are asked to behave appropriately. The Jardin des Plantes facilities and areas are managed, operated and secured under the rules and procedures of the VIGIPIRATE national security plan.
In the Jardin des Plantes and the open spaces
The Jardin des Plantes is a botanical garden. The lawns, trees and flowers are alive and easily damaged; touching and picking the plants and walking on the flowerbeds are prohibited.
In the Jardin des Plantes and the open spaces, the following activities are prohibited:
- cycling, roller-blading, kick scooters;
- feeding the birds;
- using or playing noisy devices and instruments of any kind;
- picking flowers;
- playing with balls and ball sports;
- pets are not permitted, with the exception of guide and mobility assistance dogs, which must be kept on a lead at all times.
Download extract of French decree No. 10-84J concerning the regulations in force at the Jardin des Plantes (1 July 2010)
In the galleries and indoor spaces
The objects on display in the galleries (skeletons, stuffed animals) are easily damaged. Touching and damaging them are prohibited.
In the galleries and indoor spaces, the following activities are prohibited:
- touching the skeletons and stuffed animals;
- roller-blading, kick scooters;
- drinking and eating.
Photographs and videos are permitted but without a tripod or flash.
Sketching without an easel is permitted. Please call + 33 (0) 1 40 79 39 01.
In the Ménagerie, zoo of the Jardin des Plantes
As well as being a place for visitors to enjoy within the Jardin des Plantes, the Ménagerie is a place of conservation.
The specific rules visitors to the Ménagerie must observe are set out below:
- Only visitors with an admission ticket may enter the Ménagerie; this ticket must be retained for inspection in the Ménagerie.
- Parents and those accompanying children must keep a close eye on them at all times and ensure they comply with safety rules within the Ménagerie.
- In addition to those activities mentioned in the general clauses of this decree, all sports activities, including running, are prohibited.
- Visitors are not allowed to try to attract the attention of the animals, disturb them in any way, agitate them, torment them or give them food or other items of any kind.
- By their nature, the animals housed in the Ménagerie can represent a danger to life. For their own safety, visitors must not venture beyond safety boundaries around enclosures and must comply with the safety rules posted alongside the enclosures.
In order to prevent accidents, the following are prohibited:
- any attempt to enter the enclosures;
- any attempt to cross or climb safety boundaries (railings, barriers, glass, fences, ditches, water ditches);
- any attempt to cross a temporary safety perimeter cordoning off construction and maintenance work carried out by Ménagerie staff;
- any attempt to place children on railings;
- any attempt to seek contact with the animals; enter maintenance and service areas and staff areas without the express permission of the Ménagerie management.