Visitors with reduced mobility
For more information, do not hesitate to contact the public reception service at info-accessibilite [@] mnhn.fr
Ménagerie, the zoo of the Jardin des Plantes
The Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes is 80 % accessible to wheelchair users but a carer is recommended, for the following reasons:
- the uneven nature of the path in some places
- a short section - a few metres - of incline in excess of 4 % within the Ménagerie that does not interrupt the visit circuit (side path available)
- adapted toilet facilities but only in the “Men’s” toilets and some aspects do not meet the regulations
- toilets with disabled access in the garden to the right of the main entrance to the Ménagerie
- the ramp leading to the nursery is accessible but does not meet all the regulations.
- some areas are not accessible to wheelchair users due to the presence of steps at the entrance: Big Cat house (but the animals can be seen from outside via an accessible path), Vivarium and the Reptile House.
- wheelchair users who find it difficult to navigate uneven surfaces are not advised to visit the Ménagerie (there are some bumps and holes in places).
Galerie de Géologie et de Minéralogie
The Galerie de Minéralogie is not currently accessible to wheelchair users. Work to provide wheelchair access is ongoing.
The Galerie de Minéralogie et de Géologie is accessible to people with difficult walking who are able manage steps.
Please note: there is no handrail to hold onto when climbing steps to the gallery.
Galerie de Paléontologie et d’Anatomie comparée
La Galerie de Paléontologie et d’Anatomie comparée are not accessible to wheelchair users.
Grande Galerie de l’Évolution & Cabinet de réalité virtuelle
All of the visit circuits and exhibits at the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution and the Cabinet de Réalité virtuelle are accessible to wheelchair users and visitors with reduced mobility.
Numerous benches (without backs or armrests) are provided throughout the exhibition spaces. Lifts provide access to the upper floors.
Access to the temporary exhibition in the basement from the ground floor is available using the reserved-access lift: ask at the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution reception.
There is same-level access to the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution via a smooth concrete forecourt.
There are two possible entrances to this forecourt:
- direct access from 36 rue Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire: small step of less than 2 cm
- access via the Jardin des Plantes: same level
The entrance doors are heavy to open, but a security guard is always on hand inside to help you if need be (the doors have glass in them so the guard can see visitors outside).
During very busy periods, priority entrance (indicated by a sign) to the right of the main entrance.
Please note: the ticket booths have not yet been upgraded to meet current regulations.
Jardin des Plantes & Grandes Serres
The majority of Jardin des Plantes site can be accessed by people with reduced mobility.
The pathways within the gardens have a relatively hard sand-based surface and are suitable for wheelchair users. The sand can create dust during very windy weather and becomes slightly sticky in heavy rain.
For visitors who tire easily, there are numerous benches throughout the site.
Two lawns are open to visitors, alongside the fencing (rue Buffon side) and the greenhouses. All other lawns are strictly out of bounds.
The lawns open to visitors are out of bounds during the winter.
If the outside lift is out of order, access to the Grandes serres (Greenhouses) and the Galerie de Botanique (Botanical Gallery) is temporarily unavailable to wheelchair users.
There is no visitor car park at the Jardin des Plantes (Garden of Plants).
Parking authorised on request only for a maximum of two disability vehicles within the Jardin des Plantes site. The request must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to your visit to resamuseum [@] mnhn.fr.
Plan your visit
Would you like to visit in a group? Reservations are required online at reservationgroupe.mnhn.fr